Location

Balatonakarattya

Balatonakarattya is a village in Veszprém county, in the Balatonalmád district. It became an independent village in 2014; until then it belonged to the neighbouring city of Balatonkenese.

It is located on the eastern shore of Lake Balaton, with the neighbouring settlements of Balatonkenese, Balatonfőkajár and Csajág. It is situated along main road 71, where the road 7205 starting from Polgardi, passing through Füle and Balatonfőkajár, joins in; main road 710 allows to bypass the settlement. The Székesfehérvár-Tapolca railway line reaches Balaton here, with two stops in the settlement, Balatonakarattya and Csittényhegy. Between the two stops is the only tunnel of this railway line, which was built in 1909 to support the collapsing loess wall and was renovated in 2020.

In the side of Csittény, Bronze Age artefacts have been found, which show Csittény as a popular inhabited place since prehistoric times. Graves and finds from Roman times have been found in several parts of the settlement, indicating that the area was inhabited before the Hungarian conquest of the Carpathian Basin.
Several villages were located around the settlement in the Árpád period.
Around 1000, it was donated to the nuns of the Veszprém Valley together with 7 other settlements.

During the Turkish rule, the village that stood on the site of present-day Akarattya, may have been destroyed along with these villages. In 1795 it is mentioned as belonging to Vörösberény under the name of ‘Akarattyai puszta’, and from 1869 it belongs to Kenese. In 1929, the worthless arable lands and pastures were parcelled out, and the village has been mentioned as a holiday resort since then.

Around 1000, it was donated to the nuns of the Veszprém Valley together with 7 other settlements.

In the centre of the settlement stood the 400-year old Rákóczi’s elm tree, which once (until 1950) marked the border of Zala and Somogy counties for the fishermen on the lake. The tree started to dry out in the second half of the 20th century and later fell down; today it is a monument. The municipality of Balatonakarattya planted a small elm tree next to it in 2015.

In front of it, there is the Church of the Assumption of Mary of Balatonakarattya, which was renovated in 2015. At the roundabout, there is the Margaret Line monument made of red stone, commemorating the fierce fighting of the Second World War here. Bezerédi beach is located not far from the railway tunnel.

In 2005, the Balatonakarattya partial municipality was established under pressure from resort owners and residents, and on 5 August 2012 a valid and successful referendum was held, with the vast majority of voters in favour of secession from Balatonkenese. The President of the Republic declared Balatonakarattya an independent village on the day of the 2014 municipal elections by his Resolution 13/2013 (I.8.)KE. As a result, the partial municipality was dissolved in 2014, the first body of representatives was formed on 21 October 2014 and the independent municipality of Balatonakarattya started its operation.

 

Source: Wikipédia

Balatonakarattya, Koppány sor 1.

Contact

Have a question? Or would you like a quote? Send us a message.

13 + 9 =

The entire content of this website is the property of Bala Liget Kft.

All rights reserved!

Follow us on social media too!

Contact

Tímea Kádár

Web: Juda